Magnet Brandenburg Gate - Night
The Brandenburg Gate has become the memorial and symbol of German unity. Its original commission and construction, however, had nothing to do with politics. It was simply a gate that served as the impressive entry to the renowned boulevard of linden trees (Unter den Linden in German), which led directly to the royal City Palace of the Prussian monarchs. The Brandenburg Gate sandstone is one of the largest and most beautiful creations of German classicism. In 1788, King Frederick William II of Prussia commissioned Carl Gotthard Langhans to build the Brandenburg Gate. It was finally completed in 1791. Johann Gottfried Schadow designed the Quadriga on the Brandenburg Gate in 1793. The sculpture was taken down three times in the course of time. After the defeat of Prussia in 1806, Napoleon took the Quadriga back with him to Paris. But after the victory of the Prussians in 1814, the Quadriga was brought back to Berlin. During the fighting of World War II the Brandenburg Gate was seriously damaged. The plastic had even been so badly damaged by the bombing that they had to be disposed of in 1956 as part of the reconstruction and replaced by a copy. Environment degradation has affected even this great monument that it required heavy restoration. On October 3, 2002 the Brandenburg Gate was unveiled after nearly two years of restoration and has since been a magnet for tourists from around the world. For more than 2 centuries now the Brandenburg Gate remains to be one of the famous landmarks known by the world.
- Dimensions: 8 x 5.5 cm
- Material: acrylic
- Features a full magnetic back
- Custom Made
- Made in Germany